Wednesday, 9 March 2011

From the High Council to Lesser Mortals

I've been itching to Write about the student council....yes I have. After my harsh criticism, more or less you will expect a change or two. And true, the Student Council board underwent a massive reform. Just like how I like things to be done, scrap useless jobs and consolidate power, they did it. There are certainly some rather welcomed changes. But some key underlying problems have yet been solved, and I foresee non of these problems will be solved while I'm still a student of Commonwealth Secondary.

Problems like divided school, the far distance between school and student and the scrapping of the student council election system.

The reason for the division in school is due to the level of literacy, its a sensitive topic but we have to acknowledge its existence. You can't expect a layman to talk to a professor casually, they don't click. Its a hard thing to solve and not even collaboration between levels can improve anything on it.
The Reason for the far distance between school and students is due to difference in mindset. It is very easy for a Student to understand this but not so much for the school. It is almost impossible for someone else to look into the mind of a teenager, mature minds can't think stupid. And from what I understand is, not everyone is agreeable on every law and rule but the fact that since young we lived a life of being pressed down by the higher ups prevent us from speaking too freely. I would like to go into the English HOD's office, slam my Today newspaper at her and say "Why the hell you don't let me read newspaper for morning assembly!", I can't, those stuff only happen in lousy liberal America. This is a problem not even the student council can solve it, the student council is too much to the school's side, they are unwilling to fight for students, they are not unions. And whats more the Student council is partitioned with School affair and Student affair, we can generally see the split already.
The reason why I think they should scrap the voting system is because of the failure of the Student Council. For the last three years they have been emphasizing that they are the bridge between the School and the Students. What most people are seeing now is that the student council is the school work force, they help the school and are nothing more than mere elite students given ranks. If thats the case, then scrap the whole council. If the council is to achieve its goal of being the bridge, they must be made and chosen from start by the students. You might have one or two gangsters in it, but if they have the iron in them to communicate for the people, they are capable. which is why my suggestion how the council be run comes in.

I'm going to suggest how to build an effective bridge, but not now, its getting late, so bye.

No comments: